I have a confession to make…I have a touch of road rage. It’s not as if I get mad for no reason. Its my opinion that about 20% of people are horrible drivers, 40% are way too passive/cautious, 30% are okay, and 10% are actually very good drivers. I think I’m somewhere in the “ok” or “very good” category. Anyway, I felt like posting a list of all the things drivers do that drive me insane in hopes that it will 1. Make one less annoying driver and 2. Help release some of my anger so I wont yell and curse in the car as much. 🙂
- Drivers that think the speed limit authorizes them to go anywhere below the posted number. If the speed limit is 45 mph, why are you going 25 mph. I swear people who do this must have absolutely nothing important to do and are driving and wasting gas just for fun. Speed up. Not only is this annoying but it also can cause congestion on the roads. I don’t know how many time I’ve seen an insanely long, slow-moving line of cars because one person up front refuses to move.
- Drivers that skipped the lesson about signaling in Driver’s Ed. I actually had a friend (who did not have her license) tell me she just didn’t see the point to signals. Signals are important. They let us know what you’re going to do. If we’re going 70 on a highway and you decided to suddenly slow down without signaling because your exits coming up, I may not notice right away and have to slam on my breaks or swerve around to try to avoid an accident. If you signal, I have time to either slow down at a steady pace or to safely switch lanes and go around you. Signals are there for a reason. Driving is dangerous and signals are another way for drivers to communicate and anticipate whats going on around them.
- Drivers that have no idea how to merge. I hate when a person just sits there with their signal on for the longest time trying to merge into a lane. There are perfect opportunities to merge and they just sit there holding up traffic as if they don’t see them. If your coordination is that off maybe you need to get your eyes checked or retake some driver’s courses. I’m not saying to rush and cause an accident, especially if it’s a busy road, but sometimes you can tell when people are being overly cautious or just can’t drive. Please learn how to merge quickly and efficiently.
- Driver’s that are either way to aggressive or just take things personally for some reason. You know the ones. You’re driving and all of a sudden someone’s giving you the finger and you have no idea why. People who are that aggressive just don’t need to be in the driver’s seat. Seriously, get a grip. I doubt anyone is intentionally trying to offend you (assuming they actually did something wrong). We’re all just trying to get from point A to point B. Even the best drivers make mistakes here and there, including you, so take a chill pill.
- Drivers that have no clue what to do at a 4-way stop sign. Too many times I have come to a stop sign and a person either sits there when they’re supposed to move or they try to go ahead when they should stop. At a 4-way stop sign, if you get there first you go. You have to PAY ATTENTION and watch who arrives before and after you so you know when your turn comes. If two cars arrive at the same time, the person to the RIGHT goes first. Please and thank you.
- Drivers that don’t move to the edge of the lane when making a turn. A LOT of people do this and it makes me crazy! When you’re turning (especially a left where you might have to wait a while) move to the edge of the lane so that the cars behind you can continue on their way. There’s nothing more irritating than waiting in line for one person to hurry up and make their turn.
- Drivers that don’t stay in their lane. Have you ever been driving on the highway and the person gets way too close for comfort, sometimes to the point you have to beep or even move? People, stay in your lane. Those white and yellow lines are there intentionally, in case you didn’t know.
- Drivers that for some reason slow down at green lights. For the life of me I can’t understand why people do this. GREEN MEANS GO. YELLOW MEANS SLOW DOWN. For some reason select people get these two confused or they’re part of the above mentioned “passive/cautious” category. Unless there is something in your path, keep it moving.
- Drivers that have a conversation with another driver or a pedestrian while holding up traffic. This happened a lot when I was in college and living on campus but I also see it here in the suburbs sometimes among the housewives that walk there dogs all day and stop everyone they know in the street to talk. If you really must hold a conversation while in the car, at least have the decency to pull over and get out of the middle of the street. Especially in an area where there may be a bit more traffic coming through.
- Last, but certainly not least, are drivers that have no clue how to park in between their two given white lines. This is one of my biggest pet peeves. I’m meticulous about my parking and always make sure I’m smack dab in the middle of my space. I don’t know why others can’t be as considerate. It’s incredibly annoying when you’re in a packed parking lot and the only free spot is too small because someone had to overlap into the next space. It takes two seconds to pull out again and straighten the car out. Stop being lazy. Or, if you’re the type of person who parks right on the line, taking up two spaces equally…Stop being a jerk.
Well, that about covers it for now. I could probably think of plenty more things that make me crazy but 10 is a nice round number. Hopefully, someone will read this and think twice about what they do behind the wheel. That’s my prayer for this post!