After attending a university for a number of years, I’ve found ways to save my cash. I’ve also been just plain dumbfounded at how much students waste their money (or their parent’s in most cases). College is expensive enough. Even with financial aid and scholarships in place, paying for tuition, books, food, travel etc. is a fortune! Here’s just some random tips that might help you save a bit of money…
- I’m going into my junior year and have not bought school supplies since I first arrived freshmen year. Reuse your notebooks and binders. I find so many in the garbage at the end of the year. I’ve never had a class that use up an entire notebook on notes. At the end of the year I rip out the notes from that class and I have plenty of fresh paper for the next semester. The same goes for the binders.
- You should also keep EVERY book you buy for classes. Students tend to throw those out. You can resell them! Even if your school doesn’t buy them back you can sell them to other students or on amazon.com. Some schools even make Facebook groups where students can bargain amongst themselves. Someone always needs a book…sell it!
- Another thing I see in the dorms (mostly freshmen dorms) is perfectly good furnishings, appliances, and other household/dorm items going in the garbage. I’ve kept everything in my dorm and intend to bring it all home with me once I graduate. The stuff you use in your dorm you can use every semester and even in your first apartment. Think long-term.
- My next point (that I struggle to follow) is don’t eat out constantly. Most schools have a meal plan. If you have a fixed amount of meals per day that you already paid for then use them. Why pay for takeout when you’ve already prepaid for dinner in the cafeteria?
- I also try not to buy the candy bars in the vending machines. Does anyone else notice those prices seem to get more ridiculous every year!? In my school they’re mostly 85 cents and at others I’ve heard a dollar or even two! Save yourself the trouble and go to a corner store or even Wal-Mart.
- Last but not least is Carpool! Carpool! Carpool! For those students that can’t bring a car their first year, try not to take a cab everywhere. If you’re at the airport and see someone sporting your school sweatshirt, ask them how they’re getting back on campus. You may get a free ride or at least be able to split cab fare.
That’s all I can think of at the moment. I’ll add more to this post if it comes to me!
- How Can I Afford To Send My Child to College? (education.com)
- 10 Big and Small Ways to Save Money on College (usnews.com)
- Dorm Room Living (collegefitnesstips.wordpress.com)
- Dorm room space tips (sfgate.com)